School districts which are designated to participate in a pilot project spawned by a Republican education proposal will have to put 90 percent of their funding directly into the classroom, spending it only on teachers, teachers aides and classroom supplies.read more.
If a new proposal requested by the State Senate GOP Caucus becomes law, Senate Republicans will be given the freedom to implement one of their education reform ideas in their home school districts.
The chairman and vice-chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Education are considering a series of pilot projects which will require selected school districts to spend at least 90 percent of their education funding on the classroom, leaving no more than 10 percent for administration.read more.
Governor Keating's continued use of misleading education statistics is jeopardizing public school reform in Oklahoma, according to a Senate leader who is pushing for education improvements this legislative session.read more.
When it comes to funding Oklahoma¹s higher education system this legislative session, the top priority should be Tulsa, even if it means tapping the rainy day fund, according to the chairman of the Senate Education Committee.
Senator Penny Williams pointed out today that additional funding is needed for "unfinished business" in the state¹s second largest city, namely for the new graduate research center and the new OSU-Tulsa branch campus approved by the Governor and the Legislature last year.read more.
The Senate Finance Committee has approved legislation which would slash car tag fees and excise taxes, delivering significant savings to Oklahoma motorists. SB 1 by Senator Lewis Long was approved on a 12-2 vote today.
"I think Oklahomans are paying too much for their car tags and deserve abreak. That¹s what I¹m trying to give them," said Senator Long.read more.
Saying Governor Keating has apparently recognized the folly of his original budget proposal, a state lawmaker is applauding the chief executive's decision to scrap his plans to cut funding for rural firefighters. The Governor announced his budget reversal today.read more.
Oklahoma City - Since 16-year old drivers are twice as likely to die in auto accidents, getting that laminated ticket to driving freedom may be a learning process rather than a one-day event for Oklahoma teenagers, according to Senators Keith Leftwich and Robert Milacek.
The two Senators, along with State Representatives Wallace Collins, Betty Boyd and Curt Roggow, have introduced a bill that would provide Oklahoma with a Graduated Driver Licensing program.read more.
Saying Oklahomans deserve greater access to college degrees and better accountability in the public schools, members of the Senate Education Committee unveiled an improvement plan for Oklahoma's education system today. The proposed legislation would use a number of incentives to encourage better performance in public education.read more.