back to issue papers
50 STATE TAXATION AND FEE BURDEN RANKINGS
Highlights of the Cal-Tax Research In-depth Analysis of Comparative Tax Burden*
- Oklahomans pay the 41st lowest state and local taxes and fees per capita among the 50 states;
- Oklahomans pay $2,359 per capita annually in state and local taxes and fees or $457 less than the 50 state average and $353 less than the 50 state median;
- The 50 state average tax and fee burden is $2,816. The 50 state median tax and fee burden is $2,712;
- The states surrounding Oklahoma pay an average of $2,489 annually in per capita taxes and fees;
- Oklahoma ranks 46th in the nation in property tax burden per capita. Per capita property tax burden in Oklahoma is $291 while the 50 state median is $682;
- Oklahoma ranks 43rd in the nation in corporate income tax burden per capita. Per capita corporate income tax burden is $43.94 in Oklahoma compared to a 50 state median of $65.99;
- Oklahoma ranks 33rd in the nation in personal income tax burden per capita at $402;
- Oklahoma ranks 25th in the nation in general sales tax burden per capita at $503.
- * - This policy brief is based on the Cal-Tax Research Report Taxing California: In-Depth Analysis of Comparative Tax Burden, published May 1996 by the California Taxpayer's Association.