The Senate Republicans released their legislative agenda today announcing a commitment to job creation and a focus on the budget challenges ahead. Republicans reassured Oklahomans those basics such as public safety, education, and transportation funding would remain priorities in the upcoming session.
“Our commitment as Republicans is to make Oklahoma a better place to create jobs and grow your business,” stated Senator Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa.
“We are optimistic about Oklahoma’s future because our state is well positioned for growth and economic development” continued Bingman. “We are not letting off, we will continue to pursue job creating policies and allow people to thrive here in Oklahoma.”
In two simultaneous events, Republicans gathered in Oklahoma City and Ardmore, where southern Oklahoma Senators gathered to present the Senate Republican Agenda for the first time at that location.
“We are honored to represent the people of Oklahoma,” said Senator Anthony Sykes, who took part in the Ardmore event. “We are presenting this as a commitment because we take these issues very seriously.”
Senate Republican Agenda items included:
• Support for tax reforms that lower the tax burden on individuals and businesses
• Balancing our budget with prioritized spending
• Lawsuit and workers compensation reforms that reduce the cost of business and allow doctors to practice in Oklahoma without overly costly malpractice rates
• Allowing school districts the ability to remove low performing personnel, expand virtual and online offerings and assure parental choice in education by providing quality rankings for individual schools (A through F) as well as educational offerings including Charter schools
• Support the ongoing increase to the ROADS Fund and commit to the 8 year Transportation Plan to address our most critical bridge and road needs
The 2011 Legislative session will begin on Monday, February 7, and end no later than Friday, May 27, 2011.