In order to provide equal access and equal opportunity to people with diverse abilities, this site has been designed with accessibility in mind. Click here to view

back to press releases

Senate approves measure to ease requirements for non-domiciled commercial driver licenses or learner permits

OKLAHOMA CITY – The full Senate unanimously approved Senate Bill 682, which removes the requirement for a person issued a non-domiciled commercial learner permit or commercial driver license (CDL) to have an H-2A temporary agricultural worker permit or be a participant in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.

“Currently, those working in the agriculture field can obtain these licenses and permits, but there are Oklahomans employed in other industries who could greatly benefit from being able to drive commercial vehicles,” Pederson said.

Pederson added that this will assist Oklahomans who are here legally with a passport from their country and under a Compact of Free Association (COFA) agreement between the United States and three sovereign states from the Pacific Islands.

“These are citizens who are here legally and are productive, working members of our local communities,” Pederson said. “Removing these requirements will expand job opportunities for this group of citizens and help local businesses who may be experiencing worker shortages. This bill will help many businesses in my district, along with many others across the state.”

SB 682 can now be heard in the House of Representatives, with Rep. Mike Dobrinski, R-Okeene, serving as the House author.


For more information, contact: Sen. Roland Pederson at 405-521-5630, or email